John joined BWS in 1988 at senior level achieving the position of Associate in January 1990 and then Director in 1995.
He has a wide experience in construction and civil engineering projects worldwide. In recent years he has been primarily involved in the Middle East and is the Director in charge of BWS’ activities in the UAE and Qatar but involved in the whole region. John is also very experienced in areas of construction consultancy which require a high degree of investigative work such as Project Audits, Litigation, Expert Witness, etc, and is a Member of the Expert Witness Institute. He is also a Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
General Background and Experience
Whilst his background is predominantly in private sector development, he has also gained experience in civil engineering, public sector development and specialist projects such as hospitals, embassies and hotels. During the early part of his career, he also had gained some contracting experience during the RICS qualification process.
In later years, he has worked almost exclusively in the Middle East private sector in both a cost management and project management capacity. He has also undertaken many dispute resolution commissions and these have ranged from covert studies to project audits and Expert Witness.
Selected Project Experience
John Vint was the Director in charge of BWS’ commission at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi. Located as the centre piece of the massive Yas Island resort, high speed design, construction and consultancy input ensured that the project was completed and tested in time for the inaugural grand prix.
Involved in projects peripheral to the Bahrain Grand Prix Circuit such as Ruf Porsche. He is also the director in charge of car showrooms and workshops for a Qatar based client on schemes in Qatar and the UK.
Other recent project experience included two retail centres in Egypt where BWS undertook a full project management service for Majid Al Futtaim. He was also involved in the mixed-use, retail, leisure, residential and public realm developments at Lusail in Qatar.
Over recent years, he has built up a great deal of experience in the field of Dispute Resolution and related services and became a Member of the Expert Witness Institute in 2003.
• High profile construction fraud case in central London involving a prestigious residential scheme (Gouldens, London)
• International arbitration concerning a financial dispute on an hotel project in the Middle East (Galadari & Associates, Dubai)
• Major dispute on a retail centre in Cairo
• Private school in London (financial)
• Residential development in SE England
• Railway station regeneration scheme in London (excessive delays and cost overruns)
• Large leisure and theme park development in SE England
• New university education block in SW England (construction management – severe financial problems, some delay)
• New university halls of residence in central England (delays and cost overruns)
• Residential development in Cairo, Egypt (cost but mainly delay problems)
• Office development in Lagos, Nigeria (excessive delays and cost overruns)
Adjudication & Dispute Resolution
• Mixed commercial development in London
• Prestigious single dwelling residential development in London
• Large scale infrastructure scheme in Portugal
• Resolution of s dispute on three residential schemes in SE England
• Extensive adjudication on a university development in Al Ain, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
• Multi-site railway station refurbishment programme in London
• High rise residential development in the Middle East
• Office development in Lagos, Nigeria (this followed the project audit listed above)
• Major claim defence on the new Yas Island Marina FI circuit in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
• Claim defence on a Labour Village project in Al Ain, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
In summary, a good overall experience in UK and international work. This has also been extremely varied which has necessitated adaptability and a thorough understanding of a wide range of contract and procurement philosophies.
© Copyright 2018 Baker Wilkins & Smith. All Rights Reserved.